Gibsons, the nation’s longest standing puzzle and games company has appointed BPro™ Agency – Sense, in the lead up to Christmas to support efforts to bolster their presence in UK households.
Gibsons has been entertaining generations since 1919, with a number of top games and puzzles including Pass the Bomb, 221 B Baker Street, Downtown Abbey and My World, a range of educational jigsaw puzzles for kids.
Sense has been selected for their innovative thinking, broad retail experience and passion for supporting the growth of British businesses. The Sense team will manage all proactive and reactive public relations and communications activities to support Gibsons growth objectives.
Managing Director – Nick Wright commented on the appointment: “We are a really strong family business that has stood the test of time. We’re excited to have the support of Sense to ensure we remain front of games cupboards in UK households. We’re also keen to grow existing markets, including our 50+ audience, which we know Sense will support us in doing.”
Gibsons is a family owned business through and through with a very strong history dating back to 1919. The company nearly didn’t make it when its premises, along with all its manufacturing equipment, were destroyed during the blitz in 1940. When the war ended the Gibsons family basically had to start again from scratch.
Thanks to the work of the family at the time, the company is now in its fourth generation, and has grown from only six puzzle pictures, to over 250 titles, running from two to 2000 pieces, with over 50 new jigsaw puzzle images added every year.
The company is still run by Chairman, Michael Gibson, and today, Michael’s daughter Kate Armitage, niece Nicki Gumbrell and son-in-law Adam Melville are working within the family business too.
Having won a number of prestigious industry awards, including a Gold at the recent Right Start Awards, it is clear that Gibsons is here to stay. The company demonstrates that it is possible to create board games and puzzles to suit all ages, and keep a traditional pastime alive.
Lisa Malyon, Managing Director of Sense is delighted to be appointed: “Gibsons is such an amazing, fun company to be involved with – responsible for many family memories. Underpinned by strong family values, the team is passionate about what they do and the industry they work in, and most importantly, they stay true to their British roots. We’re delighted to be on-board (no pun intended) and can’t wait to kick things off.
For more information, logos, images or interviews please contact Alana Caldwell at Alana@sensecommuniactions.co.uk or call 07525 204402.
Note to editors:
- Founded in 1919 as H. P. Gibson & Sons Limited.
- In the late 70s H P Gibson & Sons shortened its name to ‘Gibsons’, and shortly after, in the early 80s, Gibsons introduced their first jigsaw puzzles.
- Along with the new jigsaws came new themes, replacing dreary subject matters with delectable new imagery, often drawn by specially commissioned artists.
- Gibsons originally had only six puzzle pictures in the range which depicted aerial shots of well-known British landmarks, but nowadays, the range has grown to over 250 titles, running from 2 to 2000 pieces, with over 50 new jigsaw puzzle images added every year.
- Gibsons have a broad selection of products for all the family including games and puzzles suitable from pre-school to big school and beyond! http://gibsonsgames.co.uk
- The business is still owned and run by the Gibsons family.
About Sense Communications
- Sense Communications was founded in 2011 by Lisa Malyon, a former journalist and publicist.
- Lisa began her PR career at Borkowski PR, before moving to the leading corporate and consumer campaigning agency, Blue Rubicon.
- For more information about Sense Communications visit the website: www.sensecommunications.co.uk