Winner of Local Independent Store’s Bake-enomics Competition from
St Mary’s Catholic Primary School is Announced
Isla Grelak, from St Mary’s Catholic Primary School, has been announced as the Bake-enomics champion 2014 by Guy Warner, the retailer at local Budgens of Broadway.
Local retailer, Guy, comments that in a bid to get young people involved in baking and acting entrepreneurial he set up the competition.
Guy adds: “The St Mary’s students showed lots of enthusiasm and interest in business through this task. I hope this will encourage the students to continue being entrepreneurial; if they keep this up, I will have a new local supplier in no time!
The year 5 class were tasked to purchase ingredients, bake Easter treats and sell them to people in the local community over the Easter holidays. Isla generated the most profit to be crowned the winner – £27.50 was presented her prize – a hamper full of baking goodies donated by Dr Oetker and General Mills – in the school assembly on 6th May. Her classmates Kathryn Albutt and Sian Law, came second and third, earning £11.54 and £10.60 respectively.
Isla commented on being crowned the Bake-enomics champion 2014: “I really enjoyed baking the Easter nests and selling them to friends and family. I had to buy the ingredients and make sure that I charged enough to my customers to make a profit.
“I am really happy that I have won the hamper, I can bake even more now and sell more to local people who enjoyed them before. Maybe I’ll be able to treat myself as well this time!”
Notes to editor
- Budgens stores are all locally owned by independent retailers
- Budgens retailers believe that food tastes better when it’s fresh. Budgens has been named Fresh Produce Retailer of the Year at the Retail Industry Awards for six consecutive years 2008-2013
- Founded by John Budgen in 1872, Budgens is believed to be one of the oldest retail brands in Great Britain
- Initially a small, local grocer, the company has expanded over time. The Budgens name appears on a number of stores throughout the South of England, establishing a reputation for servicing the local communities with quality products
- In 2002, Budgens became part of the Musgrave Group and most of the stores were sold to independent retailers who remain in partnership with Budgens to provide good quality food at great value
About Budgens of Broadway
Budgens of Broadway is located in Russell Square, Back Lane in Broadway
Budgens of Broadway can be found on Facebook www.facebook.com/Warnersbudgens