According to sales stats from 170 independent retailers who partner with Budgens, the items that Brits most often do the ‘last minute dash’ for are cheese, alcohol, chocolate, smoked salmon and double cream – not a mince pie or Christmas pudding in sight.
The sales stats were taken from all 170 retailers up and down the country, to identify what customers bought in the store 36 hours before they sat down at the Christmas dinner table last year. The items bought most in store were:
- Smoked Salmon
- Double Cream
The top five Christmas must-haves varied from city to city. In London, eggs and chicken topped the chart, but in the South West they were buying last minute bouquets of flowers and orange juice.
Bruce Hodgson, an independent retailer at Budgens of Fulham, commented on the study: “The stats are no surprise to me, as every home has their own ‘way’ of doing Christmas, and there’s always that one thing that Christmas just isn’t Christmas without – and it’s not just turkey.
“I was taking a turkey order from a local lady last week, who was telling me about her special creamed leek dish – she said her family wouldn’t forgive her if it wasn’t on the Christmas dinner table.”
Notes to editor
- Budgens stores are locally owned by independent retailers
- Budgens retailer believe that food tastes better when it’s fresh and has been named Fresh Produce Retailer of the year for five consecutive years 2008-2012
- Founded by John Budgen in 1872, Budgens is believed to be one of the oldest retail brands in Great Britain
- Initially a small, local grocer, the company has expanded over time. The Budgens name appeared on a number of stores throughout the South of England, establishing a reputation for servicing the local communities with quality products
- In 2002, Budgens became part of the Musgrave Group and most of the stores were sold to independent retailers who remain in partnership with Budgens to provide good quality food at great value
About Budgens of Fulham
Budgens of Fulham is located on Munster Road, Fulham
Budgens of Fulham is independently owned by Bruce Hodgson