Milk is an essential part of every diet, however, it can be surprisingly beneficial for men. a2 Milk’s in-house nutritionist Melanie Bibby discusses:
Cows’ milk has an irreplaceable package of nutrients and its benefits for everyone are often underestimated. A great provider of calcium, protein, phosphorous and magnesium, milk has all the essential components for a happy, healthy body.
Milk and Protein:
For bodybuilders and men who engage in regular high-intensity exercise, milk is the ultimate post work-out drink as it re-hydrates the body rapidly and has more potassium and electrolytes than any sports drink. The main proteins in milk are casein and whey – roughly 80 per cent casein, 20 per cent whey. Casein is absorbed slowly over a period of hours, giving a base of long-lasting protein for your tissues to use and regenerate.
a2 Milk and Training:
Some people can find A1 beta casein in regular milk causes digestive issues. A2 beta casein is easier to digest; a2 Milk is 100% A2 and does not contain A1 and therefore may be a solution for those suffering the effects of regular cows’ milk.
Milk and Bowel Cancer:
There is some evidence to suggest drinking milk reduces the risk of bowel cancer, a form of the disease more prevalent in men than women. The effect of milk on lowering bowel cancer risk may be partly due to the calcium. But milk contains many other substances which may also play a role.
David Dunne, Performance Nutritionist for Harlequins Rugby Club, British Fencing and GB Canoe, comments on the benefits of milk:
"Milk has long been recognised as one of the most nutrient dense food sources in existence. It is a rich source of protein, an essential nutrient that supports growth, repair, hormone production, and many other biological processes. Milk is also high in calcium, which plays a key role bone health and well as physical growth and development.
“As a result, milk often plays a key role in any athletes’ diet. However, despite not suffering from lactose intolerance, a large number of athletes often report feeling bloated and/or an unsettled stomach after drinking milk and therefore some athletes tend to avoid consuming it. Having introduced these athletes to a2 Milk, these issues have in almost all cases completely disappeared. Self reported well being scores improved whilst GI upset scores were reduced. a2 Milk has been a valued product in these athletes’ nutrition plans enabling them to enjoy and benefit from milk again."
About a2 Milk
- The a2 Milk Company was founded on a fascinating discovery: not all cows ‘milk is the same. In fact, different cows produce different types of milk.
- Cows’ milk contains different types of protein, including two called A1 and A2.
- a2 Milk is a fresh cows’ milk that naturally contains only the A2 protein.
- Many years ago all cows were A2 cows producing milk containing only the A2 protein. During domestication by humans, the A1 protein became dominant throughout herds in Europe.
- A1 and A2 proteins digest quite differently to each other and some people who suffer sensitivity to milk may actually be reacting to the A1 protein rather than lactose as often assumed.
- There is a significant and growing body of research which supports the view that for a significant portion of the population the A2 protein passes through the gut faster and with less gastrointestinal issues
- Medically diagnosed lactose intolerance is a condition that affects a small segment of the population where there is intolerance to the lactase or sugars in milk. Neither A2 nor A1 milk is not recommended for sufferers.
- Likewise a2 Milk, like standard A1 milk is not suitable for those with a diagnosed cow’s milk allergy, lactose intolerance, galactosaemia or other milk protein intolerances.
About The a2 Milk Company UK
- The a2 Milk Company Ltd was set up in New Zealand and is now headquartered in Australia, and has around 10 percent market share of the Australian fresh milk market.
- In 2012, a2 Milk UK was set up as a subsidiary. The a2 Milk Company works with 20 farms in Cheshire and North Wales to specifically select A2 cows producing fresh a2 Milk every day. The a2 Milk Company strongly believes in the benefits of milk and dairy both to individuals and the economy and is a strong supporter of UK Dairy.
- The a2 Milk Company’s mission is to bring the nation back to the pleasure of drinking milk by educating consumers that not all cows’ milk is the same anda2 milk maybe a great option for consumers who experience sensitivities when drinking regular cows’ milk.
- The a2 Milk Company has hundreds of testimonials from people who have switched to a2 Milk and enjoy real benefits.
- a2 Milk farmers are paid a supplement above the rate they would normally receive for producing milk. The 20 farmers are strong personal advocates of the benefits of a2 Milk. (Interviews available on request)