Travel Republic, Europe’s leading online travel agent has revealed how office-based Brits feel when it comes to taking time out of the office in search for sunnier climes, based on research of 1000 UK-based office workers.
A whopping 52 percent of us admit to checking emails whilst on holiday, of which 26 percent claim to respond to emails too. However, it’s the younger employees that are the most conscientious, with 38 percent of them claiming to read and respond to emails when they are away, compared to 29 percent of people aged 45-54.
That said, 45 percent of office workers aged 35 to 44, said they let their ‘out of office’ message do what it’s intended for, and never check their emails.
The research reveals that women seem to be more relaxed than men when they fly off, with 54 percent never looking at work emails, compared to 42 percent of men.
Too many couples admitted to getting hot under the collar about reading work emails on holiday, with 36 percent saying they had fallen out. 7 in 10 females confessed to having a problem with their other halves checking their emails on holiday (70%) compared to 58 percent of men who see it as an issue.
The study prompted Travel Republic to launch a fun ‘Out of Office art’ campaign, giving people plain text images to add to their out of office messages to remind them to be happy about being away, rather than feeling guilty.
Elliott Prichard, Chief Marketing Officer of Travel Republic comments on the holiday excitement this year:
“We initially wanted to understand the emotions people experience when preparing to leave the office for annual leave, and the biggest emotion is ‘relief’ (46%). As workplaces become busier, annual leave becomes more of a luxury, but the reality is that many office workers cannot completely turn off.
“Millions of people book their holidays with Travel Republic approximately seven months before the departure date, on average. The time leading up to a holiday should be part of the fun, it shouldn’t be a stressful time.
“To spark discussion about the importance of enjoying annual leave, we’ve created some plain text art for people to add to their out of office messages, to remind people that time off is positive for everyone.”
To download a plain text Out of Office illustration, visit the dedicated Travel Republic page: https://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/getoutofoffice/.
For more information on Travel Republic’s Out of Office Art campaign, please contact Antidote, the creative agency’s PR team at Sense Communications email@example.com / 0203 551 3954.
Notes to Editor
- The research was undertaken by national omnibus company Onepoll, from 30/07-31/07, to 1,000 UK-based office workers.
About Travel Republic:
- Travel Republic is an ATOL and ABTA certified online travel agent with websites serving residents in the UK, Ireland, Italy and Spain who can book overseas travel, accommodation and transfers at the lowest possible price.
- Travel Republic has been operating for more than 10 years and serves over two million customers a year.
- The sites feature over 275,000 hotels and more than 740,000 customer reviews, as well flights with over 100 airlines to more than 650 destinations, with all bookings benefitting from a Lowest Price Guarantee.
- Antidote is Travel Republic’s creative advertising agency, based in Orange Street, London
- Antidote’s strapline is ‘ideas without boundaries’ – the agency is responsible for a range of industry-leading national campaigns